Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Rayvt, in case you interested in learning about EV travel and not just dismissing it... (Full disclosure, I am a Tesla stock holder and plan on buying a Model Y soon.)

If the EV isn't a Tesla, I wouldn't want to try it either. Finding places to charge anything else is still crazy hard. Even with a Tesla it requires planning.

I started with your location as listed in your profile, and arbitrarily picked Dallas as a possible destination, not quite 350 miles but close enough. There are Tesla superchargers at Texarkana and Sulfur Springs, 8 charging stations each. The planning tool suggested 20 minutes at the first, 15 at the second. Nowhere as short as gassing up, but nowhere as long as the two 1-hour stops assumed. I based it on a Model Y; other Tesla models have longer range.

As for creeping and crawling through construction, EVs are exceptionally efficient at low speeds. They can't idle. Regenerative breaking puts some energy back in the battery.

EVs are not the answer to every question, not hardly. But their limits are diminishing.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.