Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Rayvt,

I've been paying taxes for 24 years now and my rate in New York then was about 33% on $40,000 of today's dollars, counting everything (federal, NY, FICA). The mix has changed but the level on the same income is almost the same now. Where the money goes is different -- we pay it to the old people and their doctors instead of the military.

In my opinion, taxation of Social Security benefits was long overdue. Before it happened, a married couple both 65 were taking home as much on $50,000 gross including Social Security as a working couple with 2 children making $60,000 in wages.

I'm eligible to join AARP next month. Hope I remain true to my current attitudes.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.