No. of Recommendations: 3
Rayvt: My standard advice is to go with the closest thing to an S&P500 index fund as you can.

If they don't have an employer match, then there is little reason to join. Since she is already maxing out her IRA/ROTH, there's not anything you can do there.

So just go to Fidelity or Vanguard and open up an individual account in her name and invest only in SPY/VOO (S&P500 index fund) or VTI (whole market) -- buy & hold, never sell or withdraw until retirement.

This is the bast advice you have gotten. Screw the for fee advisors. You start out with a loss in the form of their fee. Fidelity and Vanguard will help you set up a mutual fund account for each of you. Just keep it simple. Nothing exotic. You will wake up one day in the future and be astonished at how much you are worth.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.