No. of Recommendations: 1

"If you have another $6000 that you can put away, then put $5500 into a deductible IRA -- *if* you can. If it would not be deductible, skip the IRA and put $5500 into a Roth."

If the contribution to a trad IRA is not deductible, you will probably be over the limit for a Roth contribution. (pgs 17 and 42, IRS Pub 590-A to calculate MAGI)

If there are no trad IRA assets, a back door Roth contribution can be made. If there are existing trad IRA assets, then it may not be a good idea to convert.

All holdings and some stats on my profile page
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.