No. of Recommendations: 13
Rayvt,

You wrote, I have a great anecdote about Denmark.
We (Motorola) had a division in Copenhagen that we were doing a software project with. One time 4 people from the Copenhagen division came to our Chicago office for a couple of weeks for meetings.

On Friday afternoon, we asked them what they were planning to do over the weekend. They said that they planned to hop in their rental car and drive to New York to sightsee and maybe take in a play. They have no concept of the size differences between their country and the US. We informed them that it would take the entire weekend just to _drive_ to NYC.

Google maps says it's just a 13 hour drive one way. There also appears to be a train route that if you leave Saturday night will get you there about 1:30pm on Saturday.

My own anecdote: I once worked with a team from India (not that small a country) and some of the team was here visiting us in Allen Texas (north of Dallas). One guy wanted to go visit the Grand Canyon.

I blew the comment off as wishful thinking. I mean it's like a 16 hour drive - I've never managed that trip without stopping for the evening. For me trying to cram that into a weekend would basically mean turning around right after I got there.

The next Monday he came in and told everyone about his trip. Turns out he'd left Friday evening and drove through the night. When he got there he slept in his car for a few hours and then did some of the usual tourist things. Sunday afternoon he left and drove back.

He did complain that he didn't have enough time to do everything; but he was so proud of making that trip and seeing the Grand Canyon... And I have to say I was impressed that he wanted to go badly enough that he was willing to drive a car for 32 hours over the weekend just to have that brief experience.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.