Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
RBrowndog writes:

My apologies if this question sounds dumb or has been asked recently. I live in a state with state income tax. If when retiring I move to a state with no state income tax. Do I still have to pay the first state income tax on my pension, 401k, and other investments distributions? If I move to another state with state tax. Will I have to pay income tax to both states?

I reply:

Your question's not dumb; I asked it myself last year. Due to a Supreme Court decision roughly a decade old, your former state is not entitled to tax you on your tax-deferred investments when you move. Nor can your former state tax you in any year when you are not domiciled (which means you've moved away for good) in the state nor earn income there. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.