Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I agree that RCl was punished more than CCL after 9/11. Having followed both companies since the mid 1980's, CCL has the better management in terms of efficiency and marketing mix. RCL's management has the better vision of the market and the future of the industry. RCL has the better product in the eyes of the cruise vacationer. Many individuals get on a CCL ship for the first time and never cruise with them again. Costa is another story altogether. Unless you are Italian, Greek or German, you are going to hate to be in one of their ships for an entire cruise. If you were not born to be rude and dish it out as much as you can take it, stay away from Costa. My money is on RCL to rebound after Q2, 2002 and leave CCL on its wake. The luxury segment once dominated by Seabourn, Royal Viking, and Silver Seas is not self-generating. Those passengers are dying or staying home because of advanced age and that segment of the market most likely will not be around in the next 10 years. World-wide deflation will take care of the remaining lines operating in the high-priced, all-inclusive market segment. RCL's management has placed a high bet on that and will be happy to serve the middle and upper middle class cruise vacation market that will remaing loyal to their brands. A veteran of over 50 cruises, having owned a business in the industry, I have asked hundreds of Holland, Costa and CCL passengers after their first cruise on Celebrity or RCL who has the better entertainment, service stateroom, and food. Again, my money is on RCL/Princess everytime. Believe it or not, many people tried their first cruise vacation because of the Love Boat. I like the fact that Princess has their logo all over the program.

With the travel situation today, I would have a couple of ships doing the East Coast shuttle, NY to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and back for $450 one way and keep a couple of ships busy all year long on these itineraries. I bet they would go at 105% capacity every time.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.