Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I got a laugh when I saw Doral talked about on the Fool site.  Buying Doral was my single worst investment I ever made and the one I should have sold much sooner than I did.  When I investigated it, everything looked good, analysts were positive on the stock, earnings and revenue were growing well and it paid a good dividend.  Then the bottom fell out.  Between the two times I checked on the stock, (about 2 weeks apart), the stock dropped by more than 50%.  I read the news about the accounting problems but thought that it seemed that what they would have to recalculate was only less than 10% of sales, so it shouldn't hurt too much.  After all, Capitol One went through similar stuff a year or so before, dropped by 50% a month after I bought it and then roared backed, earning more than 100% on my initial investment in about a year of my initial purchase.  So I thought I would hold on to Doral and see if it did also, since everything seemed to be of minimal impact on total sales and earnings and I didn't want to lock in my 50% loss.  When they said they would have to restate multiple years of earnings I was still hoping for the best but fearing the worst.  By this time, I was down 75% and I didn't think things could go much lower.  Once they started filing all the past 10Q reports and things weren't looking better, their loans were being recalled and they cancelled their dividend on their common stock, I finally threw in the towel and took my 75% loss on the holding.  I still checked it occasionally to see if it ever bounced back.  With the latest buyout offer, I know I was right in getting out of the stock, even though I would have been more right in getting out immediately after I heard about the scandals.  That is when I realized that I need to make sure I don't get too stubborn on a stock, that seeming little problems can presage big problems and that I need to get out of the way of a crashing company.  Hopefully a lesson learned that I won't have to relearn in the future.

Craig

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.