No. of Recommendations: 0
I retired last April and kept enough in cash to last through 2018 but I find that it's a little tight and will bump it up $500 per month. This will put me at almost 4% withdraw rate.

Current holdings in taxable account, not including the 2 years in cash, (I am age 53) earn a little over $500 per month in dividends. I have enough in that account to last until age 59.5, withdrawing the amount I need, including the extra $500. Actually, I could withdraw another $400 to meet the 4% withdraw rate.

Should I have the dividends put into cash or reinvested? Just using round numbers, say I have $50k in cash, $25k per year. I need to raise that $6k per year starting in January. At the end of 2017 I would have $19k (50k-31k).

Do I have the dividends deposited into cash starting now or, do I reinvest it for another year in 2017 before I would need to withdraw anything. I feel that reinvesting would be best since I can grow the dividend amount each month but, it would be safer to put it into cash to ensure that I have what's needed for 2018 without selling anything.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.