Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Re: lilly musings
Author: C172M Date: 11/21/01 10:14 AM Number: 696
Lilly has always been a good company filled with good people.
*---
C172M, are you one of the obscure microenyme systems I haven't yet been inundated with documentation about. (?) Just kidding.

Eli Lilly & Co. had an enormous and respectable reputation, perhaps nearly on the same plane as Johnson & Johnson and its affilitates. Their endowments to Indiana University and to research medicine in Indiana would probably run a photo finish with J&J /RWJ. They didn't pour money into reconstructing an entire city, like New Brunswick, as J&J/et al did, but they did fund and do fund one of the finest medical and scientific research libraries in the world.

I would cheerfully spend weeks in IU's libraries until someone reminded me it was important to periodically have water and occasionally, food.

Additionally, Lilly's research arms crank out useful and marketable medications, so I would presume they have qualified researchers there. In fact, some of the finest people in supercomputing and computational molecular modeling systems, went to Lilly, from the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois, many of whom developed MOSAIC, technology rooted in work done at CERN (the particle physics laboratory in Europe) and ended up as what we now know as the Web browsers, or major parts of them.

But Lilly has been around a long time.

They still carry Tuinal, soluble morphine tablets (to be prepared for injection by a Nurse), hundreds of other drugs and preparations thereof that, apart from Lilly, would be in some U.S.P.

(United States Pharmacopaea) book as an anecdotal reference, but that a patient in desparate need would require, and if anybody made or stocked it, it would be Eli Lilly & Co. I think, in fact, they are the only makers of amyl nitrite ampoules, which offer the most immediate relief for an acute angina or MI victim, as well as being the only known immediate treatment for cyanide poisoning (until you get the methylene blue and thiosulfate IV ready to go.) Lilly Amyl Nitrite ampoules were SOP anywhere Cyanide was in use.

It is conforting to know someone still makes medications that are so helpful in this manner.

RSH.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.