Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Re: lilly musings
Author: C172M Date: 11/28/01 12:01 PM Number: 718
I don't think Randy Tobias (AT&T) is still the CEO. He took over (as a third party) after a bloody coup as King Richard stepped down. There was a very unfortunate situation where his wife took her own life. She was suffering from severe depression.
#

That is a shame to hear about the Tobias'es. It also seems a bitter irony that the wife of the CEO of the company that makes one of the world's leading antidepressants had severe depression herself. But it so often goes unnoticed, undiagnosed, or undertreated.

Mr. Tobias was very good at AT&T, and was another of the residents of Valhalla that would take time to listen to and correspond with mere peons like me. He also had a fanatical devotion to improving customer service and simplifying all the processes customers had to deal with.

He also instituted a mandate that if you got a call from a customer, or someone randomly stopped you on the street, or any other situation where a customer had a complaint or question or possibly potential for new AT&T business, you owned it.

No matter who you were, what you did, what department you were in.

And no more "Oh, I don't do that, you need to call 800-xxx-yyyy, I think they do that, or the worst, "I don't do that, and I don't know who does, sorry". That could get you fired.

Because not everyone in the Company were rocket scientists, all managers got a green looseleaf binder with every possible contact number within the corporation, multiply indexed by business unit, product, likely customer questions / complaints / issues, "Easy To Do Business With".

And if all else failed, a special 800 number staffed by people who were trained to figure out who to call.

But YOU called them, then either called the customer back and bridged them on or bridged them on the initial call. And you followed it until the customer was satisfied with whatever they wanted. No transfers, no "it's not my job".

I hope Randy Tobias brought some of this with him to Indiana during his tenure with Eli Lilly, and wish him well, wherever he is now.

RSH.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.