Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
RE: NoID: "Certainly the small block Chevrolet engine is arguably one of GM's greatest engineering achievements."

I don't think you could find anybody to (knowlegably) argue against that certainty.

RE: "However, some people liked the Olds engine and it was highly regarded by some buyers for its dependability."

These people liked the appearance of dependability instilled in them by the GM/Olds marketing people. There is no way they weren't better off with the Chevy engine.

RE: "Though it didn't turn out very well, at all, I suspect that GM chose the Olds 350 in their attempt at converting a gasoline engine design to Diesel for the strength of its block."

Not to be too cynical, but there was probably also consideration that the average Olds buyer was considered a better "target" for sale of an outrageously overpriced diesel option.

RE: "I recall reading and watching news commentaries at the time that reported criticizing of GM by Oldsmobile buyers for their not sufficiently advising buyers of the substitution,"

I'm sure people who obtained their information about auto engines from Nader and the ABA were happy to supply the "news" with sound bites, but I'll bet you didn't see many mechanics interviewed.

SB (nothing against the Olds V8. Several of my drag racing customers still run it)(but it ain't now, never was, never will be no small block Chevy)

Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.