Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
RE: "Easier sure, but less flexible and less powerful, which are often trade offs."

That's the old trade... often Apple reduces the functionality to what 90% of their targeted customer base is really using. If you happen to be in the other 10% then in many cases all it takes is a bit of fiddling with the shell.

In the case of the airport, there is no such option, which is a PITA. E.g. they simply removed the UI to enable SNMP. I never understood why they couldn't just HIDE it from the masses without killing the feature entirely.

But Apple consistently shot the power users in the knee caps. And I still think they really get it completely wrong to just focus on consumer stuff p!ss!ng of all pro users - outside the graphics/design/photography realm. They killed so many good products (xserve, Thunderbolt monitor just to name two) and left others to (almost) die lonesome (MacMini, MacPro, Server OS) - and they do have more than enough cash to simply keep those great products alive.

I switched to a Netgear Nighthawk router and still have bad dreams from just thinking about the freakingly ugly and badly done UI, the insane complexity without any useful documentation, the ambiguity in the tons of options that sometimes contradict each one other... but hey, this is what I always experienced when I had to enter the realm of Windows. ;-)

Over the past few years, I slowly moved towards the unlucky 10% of the Apple user base... And I still miss the times, when Apple was not only focusing on plain content consumers.

And btw, I don't really think the announced MacPro will really change anything and I also think they will just let the MacMini die entirely, even if they say otherwise.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.