Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
RE: sly: "When I first met my wife, she had a '73 Chevy Nova"

The Nova was one of very few Amercian made cars of the 70's you might even want to keep over 100,000 miles.

Ain't that the truth - I had a 76 Dodge Aspen with a 318 in it. A friend who owned a transmission shop rebuilt the transmission in it, twice. I asked when the transmission failed the 2nd time and he showed me the difference between the transmission Chrysler had put in the car and a torgueflite transmission designed for an 8 cylinder motor - The transmission in the Aspen was a light duty model that, essentially, was engineered for Chrysler's slant 6 - fewer friction plates and thinner shafts, etc.

IIRC, wasn't it also in the early/mid 70s when GM got caught putting Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles?

A lot of American auto manufacturers seemed to economize in their production of cars around that time, as oil/gasoline price ceilings precipitated gas shortages and, ultimately, higher gas prices and fuel efficient compact import vehicles became very popular as American car manufacturers seemed slow to let go of full-size boats and vans with poor gas mileage, even though they couldn't sell them... They had fields full of excess inventory around here, near their St Louis plants.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.