Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Reading your post, I realize the return I sent last week also did not have form 6251.
It might be worthwhile for you to file for 1040X and attach your 6251 if the form in fact showed you owed extra tax.
Form 6251 shows I didn't own any AMT. However, I have a low income housing limited partnership and a natural gas partnership, both of which result in tax credits. Two years in a row IRS not understanding where my (valid) credits came from resulted in an assessment of extra tax, both years reversed when they received explanations, which last year included Form 6251. I intended to file it this year--Turbotax generates it in any case so no sweat--but didn't.

Do you suppose after losing arguments with me two years in a row about extra tax related to my tax credits, that this year the IRS will just leave me alone? If not, we'll trot out the forms again, because now I KNOW I'm right!
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.