Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
As usual, we're heading over to my brother's home for turkey. I'm bringing a cherry pie and a pumpkin pie, along with a couple of bottles of wine and sparkling grape juice.

It took most of the afternoon to bake the pies, mostly because I forgot to shield the edge of the crust w/ aluminum foil. The edge was quite burnt, so I decided to make another cherry pie. Off to the grocery store to buy the cherries, etc., while the pumpkin pie was baking.

I remembered as I walked into the store that it was about time to turn back the oven on the pumpkin pie! I called MDH and told him to set the temperature back to 350 F when the timer beeped, then set the timer for 40 minutes. MDH saved the pumpkin pie! When I got back I made another cherry pie and finished around 5 pm or so. This time I shielded the edges w/ strips of foil and all is well!

MDH tells me that the "burnt edge" pie is delicious<G>.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
It took most of the afternoon to bake the pies, mostly because I forgot to shield the edge of the crust w/ aluminum foil. The edge was quite burnt, so I decided to make another cherry pie. Off to the grocery store to buy the cherries, etc., while the pumpkin pie was baking.

I made an apple pie today, with lattice top. The juice ran over into the oven. Made a scary smell, but I cleaned it up just fine.

Count Upp
No. of Recommendations: 1
If we're home for Thanksgiving, SGSpouse and I always make our full turkey day meal a day or two before Thanksgiving, so we baked the turkey and all the extras today. We make pumpkin pie this year. We went for bike rides while the turkey baked and then again after stuffing ourselves.

Now tomorrow we can sleep in and feast off of leftovers while everyone else slaves over the oven.

The high in Mesa today was 82, so even with the windows open and the fans on, all that baking made the house a little warm. It's nice now though.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I made a pumpkin pie this morning and I'm just ready to take a blackberry pie out of the oven ----perfect on both!

Pies are my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner with my brother and sister in law and their family.

After YEARS of struggle, I can finally turn out a pretty good pie crust in a pretty straight forward manner.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am not a great dessert-maker, save a few specialties--none of which is pie, so when I host as I am today, I farm out desserts. Also appetizers, which I used to spend a lot of time on. Holidays ar enow a breeze!

Since we're having our usual Thanksgiving dinner for CHristmas this year (the kids are both with in-laws today and miss the way I fix turkey day so we're doing it for Christmas...and Christmas ham for Christmas Eve, and prime rib today!). Both DS and DD are bringing my cranberry-orange sauce to their inlaws, though (or brining sauce to their inlays, as auto-correct would have it!).

Our first course today is cauliflower-fennel-leek soup, then fall salad (grapes or pears if they're ripe enough--I won;t fix this till just before guests arrive, feta, toasted walnuts and fresh dill and parsley over baby mesclun leaves with hubby's balsamic dressing). Then prime rib with horseradish sauce (Alton Brown recipes), mashed parsnip & potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, butternut squash and onion with herbes de provence. Then pie :-) Hubby picked up a nice cabernet for the beef, but other wines will arrive.
Count Upp,

Although I have a "self-cleaning" convection oven, I bake the pies on top of a pizza pan. It seems one always bubbles over and a pizza pan is a lot easier to clean than an entire oven<G>.
No. of Recommendations: 2
SG,

Our high today was in the mid-60's and partly sunny.

I still remember a Thanksgiving over at my Uncle and Aunt's home. When we left, there was about 4" of snow on the ground and it was still falling. When one is 4 years old, it's the simple things in life<G>.

PM
No. of Recommendations: 1
SP,

I've never made a blackberry pie, but it sounds luscious!

Persistence always pays off in the end<G>.

PM
Alstro,

Having turkey at Christmas sounds like a new family tradition is being born. The menu sounds great! After spending the summer grilling, a roasted array of food is a very pleasant change<G>.

Of course, MDH isn't quite ready to give up grilling. He marinated some pork tenderloins and grilled them last night.

PM
Count Upp,

Although I have a "self-cleaning" convection oven, I bake the pies on top of a pizza pan. It seems one always bubbles over and a pizza pan is a lot easier to clean than an entire oven<G>.

Too soon old, too late schmardt.

Count Upp
I've never made a blackberry pie, but it sounds luscious!

Persistence always pays off in the end<G>.

PM

Nothing in the world can take the place of PERSISTENCE.
TALENT will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
GENIUS will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
EDUCATION will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press On," has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge -- 1932

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Count Upp