Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Folks
As someone who has been in this industry for years I thought I'd share with the people that don't know just how real estate is valued(priced).
Of cause the way that agents price houses is by comparing recent sales in the area & listings in the area & making an estimate in price up or down depending on the house been appraised(very similar to charting).
Although agents are taught the replacement value method ie the cost to build the house + the cost of the land no one i've met uses this method, because you'll never get any listings, because the value of the house is only what people are prepared to pay & people who are looking to buy always have a good idea what the pricing in a particular area is.

Folks that have not brought a house maybe don't understand but those that have sure do.

JR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.