Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Asking for a friend (really):

My friend tells me he nets maybe 5% annually on two apartments he rents. He's retired and needs the money as income. I'm thinking he could do at least that well and with a lot less hassle by selling the units and putting the proceeds into REITs. Or perhaps (better) a mix of REITS and other solid divvy-paying stocks. Apartments are selling at all-time high prices here, which would seem to get a great time to exit (if you don't need to buy another place to live in).

He said something to the effect of "Yeah, but then I'd have to pay all those cap gain taxes and the depreciation."

Your thoughts, please?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.