No. of Recommendations: 0
I was reading another forum where there are a lot of confused, frustrated, and worried landlords right now. More than a few supplement or rely exclusively on rental properties for income. And you also have the AirBnB, etc. people who were making money renting out rooms and homes for "easy" money.

Right now it appears renters don't have to pay rent. Depending on the state, the time frame may be quite lengthy. Apparently, there isn't much a landlord can do, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the stimulus bill to help them out (seems like the prevailing opinion of landlords by many in the public is less than polite).

Fortunately I'm not currently a landlord but this is another thing that will ripple through the economy.

And some, who could afford to pay rent, may just take advantage of the option not to do so since I don't think there are many/any requirements to prove job loss, etc. In 2008+ when real estate collapsed in many areas, more than a few people who had steady jobs simply walked away from their mortgage since they saw no point in having a mortgage substantially higher than the house value. They rather take the 7 year hit (I think it is 7) on their credit and buy again down the road.

Another sticky situation for the economy.

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.