Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Bought a new house at end of 2005.

In 2006 the final assessment of the newly built house comes through. The final assessment contains an increase of tax for 2 months I didn't live in the house.

I asked the prior owner to pay me the difference for the time I didn't live in the house.

Since I wrote the checks to the county/town do I claim what I paid to the county/town or what I paid to the county/town less the amount the prior owner has given me?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.