Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 1997, I sold some land that I had purchased about 12 years ago. It was purchased for the purpose of building a home, but nothing was ever done with it (It is not business property). I need to know what I can use to adjust the BASIS or deduct. I have the following expenses:
Closing costs on purchase and sale.
Property tax
Interest on loan
Subdivision assessments for road improvement, etc.

The tax books always use the terms "may be deductible" but don't clearly state when the "may" is a definite "yes" or "no". Any help would be appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.