No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey folks,

I have a bunch of questions regarding a new credit card that I applied for and was approved with Amex. I have been doing business with Amex since 2005 and recently applied for the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) card, for which I was approved with a $2000 line of credit. I also have the Amex Clear and Amex Blue with pretty good lines of credit. I feel that I will use the SPG card the $2000 limit that I was approved for would make it appear like I was making use of at least 80-90% of the $2000 limit. I called Amex and asked them what could be done about this situation since I didn't want my credit score to be affected adversely. I am aware that opening a new CC will affect my credit score to a certain extent. I have no debt as of right now and plan to pay off my balance in full every month.

I called Amex and the rep told me that Amex could "reallocate" the line of credit that I have on the other 2 cards and put it on the SPG card, which sounds like an OK deal to me. However, since that conversation I've been wondering what kind of impact this "reallocation" will have on my credit score. I have also been thinking about closing my Amex Blue and Amex clear accounts and just having the SPG card with Amex.

I'd be grateful if you can share your thoughts/opinions/suggestions with regard to my situation/question.

Many thanks in advance!
Coolnewbie
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.