No. of Recommendations: 0
Really looking for a WAG, but have no concept of whether it would be closer to $5K or $50K. Looking at buying a house with 2 family zoning but no separate utilities, so really can't call for an estimate since I don't own. Will be running the numbers on just the SFH but want to have a clue as to the potential.

Just because there is zoning for 2 family homes doesn't mean that it is a 2 family home. One reason that many 'duplexes' don't already have separate meters is that they weren't built as legal duplexes. Legal duplexes typically require separate metering. So, I would suggest that you confirm that it's actually a legal 2 family first. You also need to make sure that there are separate HVAC systems and separate electrical panels for the 2 units. Again, for buildings built as legal duplexes, these systems are typically separate, but for those that were permitted as SFHs, they generally aren't.

As JAFO said, if all you have to do is add more meters, it's going to be closer to the $5k - $10k range. If you have to do the permitting, add separate HVAC and separate panels, it's going to be a lot more.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.