Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Really no emergency event. I am 38 now and plan on retiring early (45). Due to wise advice and investments I got at an early age (22) my IRA portfolio is at a point I feel comfortable for my retirement from age 60-? but not so much from 45-60. My plan for the next 7 years was to just pour all of my investing money into taxable accounts that I can tap when I retire at 45 but now I realize that I could at least divert the first $5k every year into a Roth IRA and let the investment grow tax free for those 7 years but still be able to tap the contributions when I want for that period of 45-60. Just wanted to make sure I had all of my facts before doing so.

Glad to hear you started IRA investing early. Unless you've already contributed for this year, you actually have eight years of Roth contributions that gets to compound. Is 7/8 years of Roth funding + taxable accounts going to cover 15/16 years of living expenses, etc.?

Hohum
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.