Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What do you folks think about RealNetworks (RNWK), makers of Real Player, as a Tweener. The company certainly broke all rules by bringing audio to the web in a huge way. They have approx. 80% of the streaming media market share. The stock was a veritable shooting star for a while. Here's a link to the chart: http://quote.fool.com/chart/chart.asp?symbols=RNWK&currticker=RNWK.

The stock has taken a sound beating in recent weeks. Microsoft is ramping up the distribution and marketing of its Windows Media Player (WMP or WiMP, as it's becoming known). It's really not clear who's going to win out in this pitched battle. RNWK is tiny by comparison to the gorilla and could just get swept up and gulped down in one bite.

Maybe we could coax some of the zealous RNWK shareholders over from the RNWK board to discuss this here. I was all set to buy RNWK several weeks ago and even put in a limit order. But I canceled it because I just can't get a grip on my gut feeling about this company for the long term.

Trevar
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.