Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm surprised that people still insist on recreational travel during this pandemic. It's MUCH riskier than going to stores or using public transportation. (At least most of the people in the store, bus, or commuter train are there for a limited amount of time.) The recent end to mask mandates in airports and airplanes can only make things worse.

My reasons for avoiding travel are these:
1. In the airport, you share indoor air with thousands of other people. Flight delays and cancellations (all too common these days) only prolong your time in the airport. No amount of sanitizing surfaces will stop the spread of airborne viruses.
2. In the airplane, you share indoor air with hundreds of other people. You're in close proximity to several people for virtually the entire length of the flight.
3. The hotel can sanitize surfaces, but it cannot sanitize the air. The maids have to enter your room every day to clean. You're sharing indoor air with hotel employees and other guests. And you're all spending lots of time in there. You're not in and out quickly like you are in a store, bus, or commuter train.
4. In a cruise ship, you share indoor air with thousands of other people. You're on the ship day after day. And while sanitizing surfaces can stop the spread of some diseases, COVID-19 is not one of them.
5. It's much harder to eat a healthy diet when traveling than at home. Dietary fiber is much harder to come by when I have to eat away from home, and the same is true for magnesium, potassium, and phytonurients. (Ever notice that certain essential nutrients tend to go together?) Trying to eat the whole rainbow of fruits and vegetables is even harder. At the same time, it's hard to avoid the sodium overdoses. This less healthy diet is bad for immune system health and promotes inflammation.
6. If you're required to be tested for COVID-19 and test positive, what are you supposed to do? Do you get your money back? If you test positive when you're about to come home, are you stranded there? Who pays for the extra costs?
7. Even if I had the perfect immune system that could easily defeat every pathogen that ever existed in the history of the world, I still wouldn't fly or go on a cruise. There's all the hassle I'd have to deal with if certain key people (like pilots and flight attendants) tested positive and had to be sidelined from duty.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
My reasons for avoiding travel are these...

If you don't choose to travel, that's fine. But your reasoning is a bit off. We're planning a trip to Europe, probably next month. We just returned from Hawaii. We're not idiots.

Airports have huge air volumes, which is what matters. It's not difficult to sit in uncrowded waiting areas. We do it all the time. And wear your N95 mask.

Airplane air is exchanged roughly every 15 minutes and run through HEPA filters. Keep your mask on. Don't eat/drink at the same time as everyone else. We flew from Hawaii to Michigan last week. No problems.

It's not difficult to eat healthily if you don't buy/eat processed stuff. We've been vegetarians for 50 years. Haven't eaten fast food in decades. Haven't eaten in an indoor restaurant of any kind in 2+ years. Yet we travel all the time. Amazing? Not really.

These days, many hotels don't even provide maid service unless you request it. When we stay at a hotel for more than 1 night, we put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and simply exchange towels and put out trash as needed. We've done that for many years, all over the world. I can make my own bed, thanks. If we're staying more than ~4 nights, we typically rent an apartment. Either way, open the windows. We've also done that for many years.

Yes, there's some risk you can test positive. But most airlines provide no-fee changes. And you can use an in-home test to check yourself a few days before departure (at either end) to minimize sudden surprises.

Etc.
No. of Recommendations: 3
1. In the airport,

I'm traveling by car.

2. In the airplane,

I'm traveling by car.

But in an airplane, the air circulates from overhead in the center of the airplane to the floor on the sides. It then passes through some pretty good (from a health standpoint) filtration before returning to the cabin. The safest seats, then would be at the center of the plane. The riskiest at the windows.

3. The hotel

Yes. I'm staying in hotels. In most hotels, each room has it's own HVAC. That's the noisy box on the outside wall. If you wanted to be really safe, select a hotel with outside corridors rather than an indoor hallway. Avoid the room for at least an hour after the maids are there. If possible, return to your room after the maid service. Wear your mask to turn the HVAC system on, then leave again. Wait another hour for the air to circulate and be exhausted.

4. In a cruise ship,

You got me there. I will probably never take a cruise again. Even in good times in the pre-pandemic days, they were floating petri dishes.

5. It's much harder to eat a healthy diet

I'm not interested in eating a perfectly healthy diet when on vacation. But it's certainly possible to do fairly well by asking questions of your server and selecting meals carefully. You can order salads and vegetable side dishes. Lean steaks and fish that isn't covered in batter and deep fried are often available. Vacation is a time to relax your eating standards a bit.

6. If you're required to be tested for COVID-19 and test positive, what are you supposed to do?

Because I'm driving, I get in my car and head wherever.

But if you are flying, you can buy trip insurance to reimburse your costs if you have to miss flights or stay extra hotel nights. I'd also make sure I know what the requirements are for return travel in regards to covid testing. I might not want to fly anywhere were the requirements are unusually stringent.

7. Even if I had the perfect immune system that could easily defeat every pathogen that ever existed in the history of the world, I still wouldn't fly or go on a cruise.

That's why I'm driving.

--Peter <= enjoying some travel in the near future.
No. of Recommendations: 0
In a cruise ship, you share indoor air with thousands of other people. You're on the ship day after day.

I went on a 7 night cruise in March. Every passenger had to show proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test within two days of boarding. The crew was masked 100% of the time. I felt safer than I do in public places at home.

It's much harder to eat a healthy diet when traveling than at home.

Not for me. I live alone and I'm kind of lazy about food preparation. When I can be served whatever I want whenever I want, I tend to eat more "healthy" food, although my requirements are not nearly as stringent as yours.

There's all the hassle I'd have to deal with if certain key people (like pilots and flight attendants) tested positive

My flights from NY to Florida and back were pretty miserable. Jet Blue has been having a lot of problems lately. I feel bad for their staff, but the service was nothing like it was before the pandemic.

I'm probably going to take a shorter flight to Washington DC in May. I'll have a close eye on the
statistics meanwhile. According to data in today's NY Times, Covid cases in DC (30/100K)are currently about double the national average and have risen 47% in the past 14 days. Hospitalizations in DC have risen 6% in 14 days compared to +1% nationally.

I think we're in Neverland. Some people think that the pandemic is over or at least not much of a threat in the near future. Others are much more concerned. I note that many who post here fall into the latter category.

I'm trying to be rational. I can't live the rest of my life in fear. Since I'm fully vaccinated and fairly careful, I think the odds of getting "burned" are relatively low.

Since the probability of my dying someday is 100%, I want to get the most out of life even if that means taking some chances. And I loved Washington 6 months ago and vowed to get back in warm weather.
What's that thing the kids say? YOLO?
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am with you; no travel for me yet.

And I wish I could. I haven't seen my grandsons or my mother for several years.

Wessex