Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello. I posted this in "Foolish 401[k]" as well, but thought I shoudl repost here.

Still kind of new at this, but getting better every day.

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and Im getting ready to rebalance my 403 {b) program. I have it with TIAA_CREF. I contribute 8% of my salary to get the full 3% match my employer offers.

Right now I have it set like this:

40% Stock
20% Global Equities
10% Growth
20% Inflation-Linked Bond
10% Real Estate

last year my return on investemt was 17%.

Im looking for suggestions as far as moving money around and rebalancing the percentages. I only started this plan in 2001 so Im trying to be a bit more aggresive to try and maximize the return [Im turning 39 so only have 27 years or so to work with this plan].

And suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Print the post Back To Top

Right now I have it set like this:

40% Stock
20% Global Equities
10% Growth
20% Inflation-Linked Bond
10% Real Estate

You might want to take a look at how much overlap you currently have. I don't remember for sure, but I think the Stock and the Growth have a pretty high percentage of the same exact stocks.

m
There is a lot of overlap between Global and Stock as well. Global does not equal International, it's about 50% US and 50% non-US, I believe. My 403b money is split 85/15 between global and real estate (I'm not a big fan of "growth" stocks). If all you wanted was 10% international exposure then your mix is okay, if what you meant was 20%, then you should have 40 in global and 20 in Stock.

-Ken