Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Earlier this month I was able to retire at 54. I would like to thank all of you on this board for your invaluable guidance and insight which really assisted me in reaching this goal. Though I don't post much I do read everything that is posted.

I have a after tax account with Vanguard that I created back in 2008 after my wife and I paid off our house. We took the monthly mortgage and started to drip it in five different index funds. Once a year I would add more money to get them back to their original percentages which was 20% in each fund. This has worked out just fine since my wife and I were maxing out our 401Ks and this gave us an opportunity to continue to invest. Over the twelve years these funds have grown quite nicely.

My question is now that I am retired and my wife continues to work for another few years since she is a bit younger than I we are no longer able to drip into these funds. Due to the correction earlier this year the percentages have gotten a bit out of whack. So much so and due to their size it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to get them back to their original twenty percent each. So I see I have a few options here. I either let them ride for the next few years until we start to draw down the accounts. I can then use that draw down to rebalance. Another option would be to go ahead and rebalance now and take the tax hit. I am going to have to pay it sooner or later but would think it would be better to wait until we are in a lower tax bracket. The third option would be to got into our IRAs and tweak those to make up the difference in rebalancing. Since these funds are in an after tax account and obviously the IRAs are pretax I like to keep them separate but I do have that option as well.

Here are the funds and their current percentages:

Vanguard Total International Stock Index ETF 20.78%
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares 20.73%
Vanguard Real Estate Index Fund Admiral Shares 18.80%
Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities Fund Admiral Shares 17.86%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index ETF 21.83%

Any input would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Gary
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.