No. of Recommendations: 0
Help me if you will, understand the business model on rebates. Why they exist? Accounting purposes? Inventory issues?

Here is why I ask. Bought a CD - R/W and have not one, but two rebates coming; $10 and $20. Now, there was not a catch. Didn't need to buy a second product to get the second. But why make me do the drill twice? So I get discouraged and don't fill either of them out?

Business wise, why is it used? If it is an inventory issue, why not just discount it and get it moved off of the shelf. Are the rebates "factored" and sold off to some outsourced firm that pays 'x' on the $1.00? While I didn't buy it from Jeff Bozo, I notice that he loves to use rebates.

Here is one I love. I just recv'd an email from them, informing me that they were processing my rebate right now, even as I receive the email. They followed with, and I quote:

Please allow for 10-12 weeks for the delivery of your check/product. Do you realize that the chicken fryers that we buy in the supermarket mature in 8 weeks. 8 weeks to stuff a chicken with growth hormones and 12 weeks to get a $10 check.

Gotta love it. So you marketing, retail, and accounting types...why the rebates?

Thanks,
Ivan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.