Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
After contributing to our 2000 Roth IRA's, my wife and I went over the $160k AGI limit. My question is, how do you determine what earnings must also be transferred when I recharacterize the 2000 IRA contribution to a nondeductible traditional IRA?
For example, if my individual Roth account totaled $50k after the year 2000 contribution, doubled during the year, but the year 2000 $2k part "only" made 10%, is the amount that must be "recharacterized" $2200 (the Year 2000 $2k contribution + $200 earnings) or $4000 (the Year 2000 $2k contribution + $2k from the entire Roth IRA doubling)? I would hate to lose the tax-free compounding the extra $1800 would achieve over the years.

By the way, I didn't see in the 1999 IRS Pub 590 any specific examples on how to determine what the "net earnings allocable to the contribution" is (pg 40).

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Either way, in future years I'm not going to contribute any money to my IRA until after the tax year is over to avoid this problem in the future.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.