Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Specifically, records of paying property taxes. My normal procedure has been to mail in my payment, checking the little box saying I need a receipt. The town mails back the statement with a "paid" stamp, and I put that with my tax information.

For the last payment, I didn't get the receipt back. I don't know whether the town didn't send it or it got lost in the mail. I have a photocopy of the statement I sent in, and I have a copy of the canceled check that I used to pay the tax. Is this sufficient to support the deduction, or do I need to ask the town to generate a duplicate receipt?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.