Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

For tax year 2006, I contributed some after-tax money ($600) to my 401k. See this thread for details: . I'm pretty sure I understand the ramifications of that -- the after-tax money will stay there until I leave this employer and roll over the 401k, and at that time I can get the $600 back without it being taxed (just like withdrawing a nondeductible IRA contribution.)

My question is just what recordkeeping is necessary to keep track of that? Is there anything filed with my tax return that reflects that $600? Or is the paperwork entirely within the domain of the 401k administrator?

Thanks :)
- Erik
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.