Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Okay this is WEIRD.

I have never used Red Box in my entire life. (in fact had to ask my brother how it worked.)

About a month ago there was a charge on my credit card in the pending section of my bill from Red Box and then an immediate credit for the same amount. Since this was just after my wallet went MIA I called CapOne and asked them about it. They said since I did not have the card in my hand, that they would issue a new card. Ok n/p. I've had the card for a month or more, and since I had hopes of finding my wallet did not get any other cards re-issued, just locked them. Since that time I have had no other unidentifiable charges on my account. Anytime any thing gets charged to the account I get a txt message.

Earlier tonight, as I was getting ready to leave my parents and drive 3 hrs home, my txt went off. There was a pending charge from Red Box for @ $74. I'm like "Whaaaaaaaat?" (insert minion voice) I immediately called CapOne and told them about it, told them there was a charge last month and that I'd never used Red Box in my life. Rep looked into it and said they would do an investigation. Told me he was going to issue me a new card "AGAIN"! I told him, "you can't" and explained that I had the card in hand which had a _new_ number from the previous card and previous transaction. I also told him that since I had lost my wallet that It was the only card I'd been using because I hadn't had my debit card(s) replaced yet. (still hoping to find my wallet) I also explained that I was about to leave NYS for a 3 hour trip home to PA. He insisted that he needed to replace the card. I had no choice to agree. (Had to borrow Blue Bird card from my dad.)

Has anyone else ever had Red Box charges mistakenly put on their account? My brother says no one can make a Red Box purchase without the card in hand. I thought it might be a glitch in Red Box, because I _really_ don't believe that anyone has my card and they certainly don't have my new card. He also told me that the $74 is what they will charge if someone doesn't turn the movie back in.

CapOne told me they will investigate with Red Box and that it may take up to a month. Their website says that they won't dispute a pending charge but apparently they will, because they just said they would. (Why they didn't do an investigation the first time is beyond me.)

I would think if someone had my CC in hand that they would use it on something a bit more expensive than a Red Box movie; But then maybe they are incredibly stupid. I have seen no charges at all on any of the other CC or DC in my wallet. Which included 2 DC, a Sunoco card, and my CapOne CC.

Tomorrow I am breaking down and calling for new cards. (Although I know darned well when I do my wallet is probably going to show up.)

I check my accounts almost daily, and have alerts on my accounts for any large purchases etc.

I seriously think this is an issue on Red Box's end. Not someone who has my card. Heck if I had my CC's the first place I would go is to the gas station and fill up my SUV and charge it on the Sunoco card. Lol!

Maybe I'm naive, or too trusting.

Lady I.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.