Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
For the past few months I have been trying to re-create the biscuits found at Red Lobster restaurants. I got a few recipes off the internet and have made several batches from them. Yesterday, I made a batch that is the closest yet, but I'm still not satisfied so I'm appealing to you pros to get me home. Latest incarnation:

RED LOBSTER CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS

INGREDIENTS
3 cups Bisquick
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded cheese
9 tablespoons grated butter
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon Italian herbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons baking powder

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 375
Combine Bisquick, Old Bay seasoning, Italian herbs, garlic powder, baking powder
Add and mix in butter, cheese
Add buttermilk
Stir together but do not overmix
Transfer to lined, 8X12 baking dish
Bake for 30 minutes

HISTORY
The first thing I changed was the milk. I started with half and half but first changed that to regular then to buttermilk.
Next, I tinkered with the temperature and time of cooking, starting at 375 then 400 then back to 375, time varying from 12-40 minutes.
Finally, I went from dropping with a spoon onto a cookie sheet to using an ice cream scoop to putting the mixture into an 8x12 baking dish (ala corn bread albeit, of course, drier and thicker).
The first few batches weren't too bad but I wasn't satisfied with the way the biscuits fell--not at all like RL. I hit upon the idea of using the baking dish, realizing, of course, that I wouldn't come out with individual biscuits but that was OK.
Now, I asking y'all how to get a lighter, bigger "biscuit" out of what I've shown. Again, it would be all right if I didn't have the individual thingies as long as it/they turned out as light and high as RL.
Thank you for your help.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.