Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think its too late, or maybe wasn't even possible,
to reduce our income to meet the $100,000 cap so that
we can "rollover" our regular IRAs to ROTH IRAs.
My wife and I earned about $135,000 this year. But is
there a way to defer the income or reduce it via contributions to other retirement funds, so that we
can reduce the reported income legally to under
$100,000? We file joint. I have about $35,000 in an
IRA, my wife has about $75,000. I thought I could
finance paying the taxes by refinancing the house.
My personal believe is that I can grow the money
in the Roth IRAs significantly, so that the tax-free
withdrawal could be a major benefit. I realize that
this would be a major movement of assets, but I think
it could be worth it.

...or just say, oh well, screwed again... and just
start contributing $4000/joint to a startup Roth?

Is there someone in the Detroit area I could talk
to about tax/retirement planning and Roth IRAs?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.