Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 36
I feel like it's 2000 all over again, and not in a good way.

2000 was a good year. In February, I got married, I started my company, I called the stock market bubble and bailed out before the crash. I was young and free and life was good.

Then, Bush won the Presidency by the thinnest of margins, and the GOP controlled the Congress and Supreme Court. By 2002, the GOP controlled the Senate by the thinnest of margins, and that is how things stood for the next 5 years of war, incompetence, huge deficits, Katrina, deregulation, and the prelude to the housing collapse.

It is hard to point to anything in America which improved during the Bush Presidency.

Then, in 2008, Barack Obama became President with a Democrat-controlled Congress and Senate. It only lasted for 2 years, but the country recovered in many ways from the depth of the abyss where we were when Obama was elected. Unlike Bush, Obama's record has more positives than negatives.
http://www.factcheck.org/2016/01/obamas-numbers-january-2016...

Now, here we are, back where we were in 2002. The GOP is set to control the whole government. They are more conservative, more aggressive, and have more control than they did in 2002--2007. They will be able to pass just about anything they want.

So, the next 2-4 years will be a referendum on GOP policies. The economy is growing, unemployment is down, wages at the bottom end are rising, the deficit has been falling, the rate of uninsured is at the lowest point in U.S. modern history. It's not all perfect, but Trump is inheriting a much better situation than Obama did.

Honestly, I hope everything comes up roses. I hope the poor Americans finally have a government who listens to them and delivers the jobs they want.

Yet, if the results end up being similar to Bush II, the Democrats had better be willing to make the GOP wear it, just like the GOP made the Democrats wear Obamacare for the past 6 years.

The GOP owns it now. Let's see what they do.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.