Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've got a weird one for you all.

My wife's car (a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country that has been heavily modified for wheelchair accessibility) is difficult to refuel.

If you try to pump the gas in the normal way - with the pump handle curving downward - you can only pump in little bits. Maybe 2 to 3 tenths of a gallon at a time before the automatic shutoff shuts off. To get the gas to flow in any volume, you have to spin the handle upside down - with the curve up. Then it pumps pretty normally.

While this workaround gets gas into the tank, its very inconvenient. You have to stand there and hold the handle, as it won't sit upside down on it's own.

I don't think it has anything to do with the gas station. This happens at several different stations. And when I take our other car to these same stations the gas pumps with no problems.

The car has always had a tendency to trigger an early shutoff. But it would only do that once or twice during a refueling, not constantly as it does now. Perhaps a coincidence, or perhaps not, it got to it's current unbearable state just after we had the fuel pump replaced. I'm wondering if there is a connection there.

And just for further info, the gas tank is one of the things that has been modified for wheelchair access. It is a different tank and has been repositioned. I don't know if the fuel pump assembly is stock or modified.

Any ideas of things to look at?

--Peter
Print the post Back To Top
Most likely there is something blocking the tanks vent line.
My car will do that once in a while. Try pulling the nozzle back slightly, rather than inserting it in completely.

Worked for me, anyway.

cbull
No. of Recommendations: 1
I doubt the fuel tank modification is the problem because you did not have trouble until the pump was replaced. Most likely the tech pinched a vent hose or incorrectly installed the fill hose when the tank went back in during the fuel pump replacement. Inside the fill hose is a smaller diameter (5/8") hose which helps to vent the tank and that may not have gone back incorrectly. Original Chrysler tanks also have a check valve in the fill which can stick closed and was probably your original occasional filling problem.
Bring the van back to the shop that replaced the fuel pump. Tell them the problem you are having and the fact that the van fills o.k. if you invert the pump nozzle. Because of that fact my guess is most likely they will find they pinched or kinked the filler hose.
Thanks, all, for the ideas.

Looks like I'll be checking the connections at the fuel pump, and if I don't see anything obvious it goes back to the shop.

One side benefit of all of the modifications is that the fuel pump is easily accessible without removing the fuel tank. You can see it just by looking behind the rear wheel. I had even contemplated replacing it myself. But it's the kind of job that needs to be done NOW, and I didn't have the time right at that moment to do the fixing.

--Peter
If you try to pump the gas in the normal way - with the pump handle curving downward - you can only pump in little bits. Maybe 2 to 3 tenths of a gallon at a time before the automatic shutoff shuts off. To get the gas to flow in any volume, you have to spin the handle upside down - with the curve up. Then it pumps pretty normally.

This is a known problem w/ my '05 Mustang. The shape of the gas tank neck causes more vapors to reach the shut-off sensor (that was the explanation I was given, anyway). Basically the pump nozzle thinks your tank is full, even if it's not. I have problems at some stations but not others, and I assume it's differences in nozzle shape or sensor type.

Usually I leave the nozzle out an inch or two rather than putting it all the way down into the tank. That solves the problem, and it still shuts off when full.

Ford has a recall and will replace the tank or neck at least. You may want to check w/ the mfr. for your vehicle.
mm