Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a plane ticket for a trip that's unlikely to happen. It's to go to Toronto from the US in October. I charged it in Dec on a card I have just closed because the annual fee is due. The card isn't going to be useful for quite awhile to come.

What will happen to a refund to that card ? If it trips the annual fee, I should probably just cancel & take a travel voucher ?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
What will happen to a refund to that card ?

You'd have to read the terms and conditions on the card to determine if the refund after the card has been closed will trigger the annual fee. If 'any activity' would re-open the account, triggering the fee, then the refund would probably do so. But if it's only 'spending activity' that would re-open the account, triggering the fee, then it shouldn't. But it depends on what the specific terms of the card say. For instance, if you have to re-apply to re-open the account, then it's possible that they will just send you a check for the credit balance, or maybe the credit balance minus any rewards amount that the purchase generated. You may want to call the card company and ask them what will happen if you get a credit to the closed card.

If it trips the annual fee, I should probably just cancel & take a travel voucher ?

I would make the airline aware that you've closed the card you've charged it to, and see if they can cut you a check or issue the refund to a different card. Only if you are pretty sure the airline isn't going to declare BK, and feel confident that you will be able to use the voucher prior to expiration (or it can be transferred to someone who can use it) would I suggest asking for a voucher.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks - you definitely mentioned more than I had considered. I think I may have refund fatigue ;)
No. of Recommendations: 3
I think I may have refund fatigue ;)

Probably another contagious issue these days....

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 1
While dealing with her estate, my mother had a refund to a closed account. It did not reopen the account. A refund required about 8 weeks but they issued a check.