No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a beginning investor, fairly young and enjoy the "wise" advice of older investors. I've been trying to grasp the implications of having a high yield stock in a taxable or IRA account. I currently hold JNJ,PFE,PAYX INTC and recently added CAG, all of which I drip. I am thinking of adding in the following year either (or both) MO and PNW. Since my accumulation should be 30-40 years (I'm 23) is the best option for me to keep it in a taxable and reinvest the dividends or do so in an IRA. The problem I have with the IRA is that I do not quite understand how it might work for high yielding dividends stocks such as REITS and Utilities.

From my basic understanding of a ROTH IRA for example the shares would accumulate and no taxes would be paid up to the withdrawal. You are allowed to withdraw funds/sell shares at the age of 59.5. What I don't understand is whether or not these shares (MO,XOM,Eastman Kodak) will be taxes if I choose to have use the dividends as income or will they "forever" be tax free dividends. Do I need to tell the broker at that time that I wish to no longer reinvest the dividends but collect them? I hope that your experience will clarify this for me. Thank you.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.