Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Regarding Mr. Edwards specifically, he strikes me as a man of high integrity. Moreso than many politicians. Still, it is impossible for anyone to fully evaluate how he went about winning those trials without examining all of the evidence he had at his disposal and further examining the record of the trials themselves to see how he actually conducted himself. As we do not have access to such comprehensive information, i'd say we are at an impasse.

I agree with you in the sense that I think most trial lawyers are doing what they are "supposed" to do. They vigorously represent their clients interests. They do not let "truth" get in the way of a vigourous case, that would actually be malpractice on their part. Scott Thurow is a lawyer, read some of his books and/or see the movies to get a flavor of what it is that lawyers do and do not do.

But even within that warped view of right and wrong (that winning is the ethical thing to do), there are still choices a lawyer could make. In this system SOME lawyer is going to put Ob Gyns out of a state, or make vaginal delivery a larger risk for the doctor than it ever was for the mother or the child.

But did it have to be John Edwards? If some S.S. colonel tells you he was just doing his job, does that carry that much weight with you when you go in to see the marvelous collection of art he took from the victims of the reich before he put them on the train? And do you then want him as vice president of your country?

I'm sure he's a very nice guy who didn't think he was doing anything wrong. I don't think he should be criminally or even civilly prosecuted for what he did. But I'd like to think that the requirements for wanting someone for V.P. are a little higher than "they avoided indictment."

R:
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.