Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Howdy- Regarding the pipeline!
I'm new here! Just saw this on AOL. It only cost me $29.95 to put in my 2 cents worth. Hope it's worth it.

I work for a Sempra utility company in Calif. 36 years with pipelines, compressor stations and instrumentation. Sempra is a partner in this pipeline project. (No insider info here, sorry.) As I see it this project, which has several partners to split the risk and reward, will be good for energy in the US by moving natural gas from where it is located in a remote area to populated areas and customers all the way to Ohio and Pa. Pipelines are nothing new , of course, for carrying natural gas, liquid fuels, oil and even coal ( crushed coal mixed with water to carry it in a slurry and then dehydrated back to dry coal dust when it reaches it's customer). All of these require compressor stations at various distances to pump the product through the pipeline.

I don't know much about the other partners business' but I have $300,000. of Sempra stock in my 401-K. Sempra is a fairly safe long-term investment, has a decent quarterly dividend and a bright future. The main source of income are the utility companies, Southern Calif. Gas and San Diego Gas and Electric. The captive customer base is growing , of course, in Southern Calif. The earnings depend basically on the difference between the cost of gas to us and what we can sell it for. Naturally more gas is sold in extreme weather such as cold winter or hot summer ( gas sold to electric power plants to provide electric power for air conditioning). San Diego Gas has interest in a few small local power plants as well. We also have underground gas storage fields to balance our supplies where the gas is compressed and forced into old oil reservoirs that most of the oil has been pumped out of but had held oil and gas under high pressure for eons. And is withdrawn when needed for periods of high usage.
Down the road Sempra is putting in LNG plants on the Louisiana, Texas and Baja California coasts to bring in LNG -Liquified Natural Gas from parts of the world where there is little use for it, unpopulated areas too far from the source to be profitable, and bring it to the US by tanker. The price of gas increases as there is less of it in the US so it becomes profitable to ship it in.

A hysics lesson: The gas is cooled to several hundred degrees below zero and it turns into a liquid which takes up 1/600 th of the space it did as natural gas. And of course when it is allowed to be warmed back up it turns back into gas 600 times the volume of the liquified gas and pumped into pipelines. The liquid gas is shipped in tankers which are like huge insulated thermos bottles to keep it cold.

Hope this helps.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm new here! Just saw this on AOL. It only cost me $29.95 to put in my 2 cents worth. Hope it's worth it.

Howdy yourself!

Has anyone welcomed you to the Fool yet? If not, let me be the first to do so. :)

I think that you'll find that your $30 was well spent, and will give you returns many times over. There is a wealth of information and great folks here. In fact, you've found your way to one of the friendliest and most helpful boards here, imo.

I enjoyed reading your 2cents too. It's always good to have first hand information. There sure are plenty of partners on this pipeline.

anyway, welcome. :)

Best, spicy
(finding myself - once again - catching up on the posts here!! ya'll been busy!)
Print the post Back To Top