Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Regardless of my feelings on immigration, which are complex, I don't want the bank to be an enforcement agent for it. I am willing to deputize them in a very limited capacity to make sure money laundering doesn't happen on their watch, because hey, watching money move around accounts is What Banks Do. What banks do not do is make decisions based on your legal status.

That makes as much sense as having the tamale vendor down the street ask to see your green card before he hands you the tamale. He doesn't specialize in immigration policy, he specializes in tamales. BoA doesn't specialize in Mexico/US relations or the macroeconomic effects of immigration on the American working poor or the LA public educational system or anything else implicated in the immigration debate -- they specialize in taking deposits and lending them out, hopefully with a nice differential between the two so that they can continue to pay me my dividends. I see no reason to entangle them with additional restrictions which would, after all, have injurious consequences to an innocent major customer group (Hispanics who are American citizens and/or legal immigrants) to no effective gain.

Heck, when I opened my own BoA account I wouldn't have been able to demonstrate citizenship, despite being born and raised my whole life in the USA. I was a 19 year old away at college and wasn't at the time in physical possession of any form of identification which would prove citizenship. Why make it harder for the bank to attract upstanding young customers like myself who would probably experience major increases in income (and hence banking revenue) over the next few years? (Hey, college students sound a heck of a lot like first generation immigrants in this regard, don't they?)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.