Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My father in law stated that in late November he withdrew a large amount of money from a 401K planning to "income average" over four years. After I told him this technique had not been available for quite a few years and that I beleived all the withdrawal was taxable as ordinary income in the tax year 1999, he was flabberghasted. He asked if he could redeposit it as a rollover 401K or IRA in another investment vehicle to keep the distribution non-taxable. The problem, however, is that he is over or about 70 1/2. I am at a loss to give him suggestions. Can anyone help????

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.