Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First up, here is the question:
Can I have a regular IRA and a ROTH at the same time.

Now to the "WHY" this question even entered my mind.
After having been a very happy FOOL for some time, in 1999 I decided to open a regular IRA with my on-line broker. So, I sent them my first $2000.-. What I did not know (at the time I sent the funds) was that in 1999 I would not make it past the 15% income bracket. Which means, a ROTH would have been slighty more beneficial.
Being "slightly" optimistic for the year 2000, on Jan. 2, 2000 - I sent in another $2000.- to add to my regular IRA. Now, that the year is coming to a close, I have to realize that I will not make it past the 15% income bracket again. Darn, a ROTH would have been better again.

So, on those lonely and cold nights, I keep myself entertained by thinking all kinds of FOOLISH things. One of them is the above question.
I figure, in years to come, where I would fall into a higher income bracket than the 15%, I would contribute to the regular IRA - in years where I don't get past the 15% bracket, I'd contribute to the ROTH.

Is my "idea" (of two IRA's) something which can be done or am out just short of some brain cells.

Print the post Back To Top
You can have all the IRAs your little heart desires, with any combination of traditional and Roth you want to set up. If you have a bunch there may be a lot of paperwork, and there might be some fees, but you are allowed not only a traditional IRA and a Roth, but you can have several of each. However, you may not contribute more than a total of $2000 in any given year. You may distribute that any way you wish.
You might also consider converting your traditional IRA to a Roth, since you are wishing for this year you had a Roth. Your custodian would probably charge a fee for the conversion, but if you are thinking it would be better to pay taxes now rather than later, you can convert. Next year you could open a new traditional, or just contribute to the Roth, as may seem appropriate.
Best wishes, Chris
... you are allowed not only a traditional IRA and a Roth, but you can have several of each

Chris;
thank you very much for your comment and answer. I wish that question would have ocured to me two years ago... I appreciate you taking the time to comment....

albin e.