Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Much earlier this year, I relocated to San Jose to work for now, all but defunct, Globalstar. I had $11,239 in taxed relocation expenses reported on my pay stub. This includes about $4000 for two months corporate house, $5000 to move my goods and the rest was a month of per diem and a couple of plane tickets. Because I was laid off I believe I can deduct some of these expenses($5000 to move goods) from my taxes. My problem is this, the company handled all the details of the relocation and I have no record of what was spent on what. I've made numerous calls, but I'm not getting any response. I dont' even know who is still left. Any ideas how I should go about reporting this on my return. What happens if I get audited and have no detailed record. Please help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.