No. of Recommendations: 0
rem50: "I will retire july 2000. I plan to rollover my lump sum pension and the pre-tax portion of my 401k into a self directed IRA at my online broker. The after-tax portion if my 401k will go into my brokerage account.
I presently have a Roth IRA with my broker.....can I roll it into my Roth, or must I open a traditional IRA.
If I can use the Roth, are the SEPP rules the same??
Am I missing something?? Thanks for your time."

Your rollover must stop temporarily in a traditional IRA, and then, if you elect, be converted to a Roth IRA (and incur the income recognition and tax liability associated therewith). You can go directly into the Roth IRA. I am certain that one of the other posters can cite chpater and verse, if you need it.

I beleive that the SEPP rules are the same, but I am certain that one of the other posters can speak more definitively to this issue.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.