Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Remark48

Some Hidden Gems are extremly volatile w/ big drops - some of which haven't recovered so if you'd selected several of those [eg CDIC, TALK, FLML] you wouldn't be making any money very fast for your retirement. You'd infact have lost $ on paper unless you sold verses holding awhile to see if things turnaround.

Tom & his analysts put in a very good effort to present promising stocks they anticipate will increase substanially in value but events happen & a stock can drop for long periods, it mgt may turn out to not be able to lead well or they lose it's direction.

That's not saying some of these stocks won't recover & exceed others that have been more steadily increasing in share price -- it just may take a long time for some of these to double or merely recover to a price in which one can pull out at cost or a bit above or perhaps even double. Long term [3-5 yrs] is a better horizon for many of the HG stocks, even those that have increased substanially - FARO, MIDD etc will continue to grow - hopefully.

As Bill said you should look at TMF Inside Value newsletter too. Many of those stocks are big co's whose share price is down & are good buys at the moment & have very good chances of climbing back up & increasing in share price though they may be a bit volatile in the beginning.

You may also want to check out TMF newsletter Income Investor. Mathew's does very thorough research, he's conservative but I've been pleased w/ all the stcks I've purchased & a # of them I wish purchased massives amounts of. His picks are far less volatile & have fairly high dividend yeilds. If you reinvest all your dividends you can grow your portfolio substanially as well as have some decent if not great share price growth too.

What ever you think you want to invest in read the boards 1st to get a good idea of volatility & direction the stock is going in & what other investors or potential investors think about the stock. I was new here once too & the newsletter is only part of the membership - the info one accumulates from the boards is really invaluable. I have also found I like having several of the newsletters as there is diversification in risk. TMF is a great place to be, the desire to learn & patience is also very impt.

Good luck.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.