Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Remember all the pumping a couple weeks ago about how GE could spin off divisions to "increase shareholder value"?

Yep. I bought some shares on speculation that very day at something like $18 per share.

Within a couple of days, I realized my mistake and closed out the position at $17 and change.

Of course, I also bought BABA on the same day. So far, that seems to have been a good decision. However, Alibaba is still a bit scary to me because of periodic stories about people selling counterfeit designer goods on Alibaba.

I bought BABA shortly after its IPO at around $101 per share. Then, it promptly fell to around $70 per share and stayed there a long time. I put in a standing order to close that position if it ever got back to breakeven, which it eventually did.

If I had held onto those BABA shares, I could have realized some serious gains. Last time I checked, BABA was trading in the $180 range.

Mr. CheeryO and a few other folks were much smarter and held onto their BABA long after it rose back above whatever they paid for it.

I don't do as well with individual stocks as I do with ETFs. That's why 90% of my investments are in ETFs, rather than in indivual stocks.

Live and learn... very slowly learn for some of us.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.