Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 13
Remember that it took you at least four years of hard work to get through college and that doesn't take into account the 13 years of schooling that it took you to get ready to go to college.

Financial security is similar. Consider yourselves in the elementary school stage of the process. My spouse and I were in a similar situation just over 20 years ago -- recently completed college, student loans, renting, some but not much in savings. Fastforward 21 years and now you there are five of us (we added three kids to the mix), student loan is paid off, mortgage of our nice but nothing fancy home will be retired this fall (consider making extra principal payments each month to reduce the 30 year mortgage to 15 years), college funding fully setup, 403bs maxed out, fat emergency fund, etc.

Financial security can take 20 years and for at least the first 10 of those, you really feel like it's taking way too long. Only within the last five years or so, do I really feel like we are getting to where I wanted to be. And once the $$$ start to accumulate in those accounts, the process will go more quickly due to the power of compounded interest.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.