No. of Recommendations: 0
A Hershey bar cost a nickel?

I do.

If you don't, keep it to yourself because that means you're too young, and I'll get depressed.

;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
OK, this requires a little explanation. What has you feeling so old today?

Fuskie
Who remembers how upset he was when gas rose over a dollar...
OK, this requires a little explanation. What has you feeling so old today?

Fuskie, it started when I got a craving for an egg cream--a real old-fashioned egg cream made with U-Bet's Chocolate Syrup at a real soda fountain.

Not an easy thing to find anymore! Ahhh, memories.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I can remember a dime, I think. Well, I think I remember them going up to 15 cents, if that counts.
While I don't think that I am as old as Tony, I date myself by remembering when White Castle hamburgers were $.15, and you had to have a nickel to use the bathroom there.

Fred
who has a birthday coming up on Saturday.
I remember when Friendly's ice cream sundaes were less than $1.00.

JBeauty
I remember McDonald's commercials where you could order a burger, fries, and a soda and get change back from your dollar.

Now, they take credit cards.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I can remember a dime, I think. Well, I think I remember them going up to 15 cents, if that counts.

Okay, I'll give you that, but only if you can remember Bazooka Bubble Gum at 1c per piece.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
While I don't think that I am as old as Tony, I date myself by remembering when White Castle hamburgers were $.15, and you had to have a nickel to use the bathroom there.

Fred
who has a birthday coming up on Saturday.

Now even I don't remember that, Fred. Perhaps, 'tis you who is older. ;-)

Happy Birthday!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I remember when Friendly's ice cream sundaes were less than $1.00

Or when McDonald's gave you change back from your dollar when you bought a burger, fries and coke!

And today, you can put your Mickey D's Meal on your Visa! How sad is that!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I remember McDonald's commercials where you could order a burger, fries, and a soda and get change back from your dollar.

Now, they take credit cards.

2gifts, I just posted, and then read your post. Talk about great minds thinking alike!! LOL!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Okay, I'll give you that, but only if you can remember Bazooka Bubble Gum at 1c per piece.

That's back when penny candy really cost a penny each, and some things were 2/penny. I can remember going to the neighborhood auto parts store which sold penny candy for all the kids in the neighborhood. The store is still there, but since we all grew up and moved away, they no longer sell candy. In those days, my dad would leave me a nickel in the morning in the summer, and I'd walk down to the store with my cousin. We'd each have a nickel, and we'd leave with an entire bag of candy.

Now, my kids look at me like I have six heads when I say I remember penny candy.
I remember penny candy, little sugar dots on paper strips, NiklNips, Bazooka, 10 cent egg creams, pizza by the slice for twenty-five cents.

I remember gas wars where gas was less than $0.20 cents a gallon, when a bucnch of us would pool our change, get a dollars worth of gas, and a bag of White Castle's from carhops on roller-skates.

RG (who grew up in the Bronx, but now lives in the mid-west)
RG (who grew up in the Bronx, but now lives in the mid-west)

And who really knows what an egg cream is!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
> A Hershey bar cost a nickel?

How much could you make with a high school diploma?
I remember penny candy.

Catleen
Happy Birthday Fred! 29 Again?

http://www.yuckles.com/birthday.htm

Wendy
Sheesh.

I just read the entire thread and can't remember any of those things.

I thought I'd reconize at least one of them.

{{Who remembers how upset he was when gas rose over a dollar...}}

That has only been in the past 10 years or so. I have been driving for almost 10 years. I recall paying $0.79 for a gallon of gas. This was not a promotion nor a pricing war.

c
{{And today, you can put your Mickey D's Meal on your Visa! How sad is that!}}

At least that way I get cash back.

c
Abfacken

> A Hershey bar cost a nickel?

How much could you make with a high school diploma?

I earned ~$110/week while I was in college. Worked in the Post Office and in QC lab in a ink factory. Post Office payed more. Lab was more fun.

RG
I just read the entire thread and can't remember any of those things.

I thought I'd reconize at least one of them.

Oh, stop yer braggin'! You young whippersnapper!

;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
No. of Recommendations: 3
when penny candy really cost a penny each,

Long ago, three brothers went to the candy store. The owner asked the first boy what he wanted.

"Five cents worth of licorice."

So, the owner went over to the ladder and carried it to the shelf. He climbed up the ladder, retrieved five cents worth of licorice, descended the ladder, put the ladder back and handed the boy the candy.

He then asked the second brother what he wanted.

"Five cents worth of licorice."

Again, the owner went over to the ladder and carried it to the shelf. He climbed the ladder, retrieved five cents worth of licorice, and looked down at the third brother.

"Do you want five cents worth of licorice too?"

"No," replied the boy.

So the owner descended the ladder, put the ladder back, handed the second boy the candy and asked the third boy what he wanted.

"Ten cents worth of licorice."

~~ Alison
I got a craving for an egg cream--a real old-fashioned egg cream made with U-Bet's Chocolate Syrup at a real soda fountain.

So, did you find one?

~~ Alison
I earned ~$110/week while I was in college.

In 1982, I worked full time at an entry-level retail job, 40 hours a week. Take home: $100/wk. Hourly $3.35. After a year of work, I was rewarded with a pay increase ... a nickle. My rent was 60% of my pay. I didn't have TV, phone, or car.

All in all, I am much happier with my financial situation now. :-)

JBeauty
So, did you find one?

Nah, poured m'self an iced tea instead. :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
{{Who remembers how upset he was when gas rose over a dollar...}}

That has only been in the past 10 years or so. I have been driving for almost 10 years. I recall paying $0.79 for a gallon of gas. This was not a promotion nor a pricing war.

Actually, I beleive the first time that the price of gas topped $1.00 a gallon was in 1978.

At the time I worked in one of the last full service gas stations and our mechanical pumps wouldn't register anything over 99.9 cents per gallon.

As a temporary "fix" we had to set the pumps for 50.9 cents per half gallon in order to collect not quite the actual price of $1.019.

A couple of weeks later they replaced the pumps.
I'm so old, I remember before there were McDonalds commercials--or for that matter, McDonalds! "Fast food" was prepared by a short-order cook at a diner or luncheonette.
Aaahh yes, Bazooka Joe bubble gum for a penny ...

Hershey bar was $.10 ...

My first job (still in high school) $1.65 hour. After a year, got a raise to $1.75. I sure felt rich then ...

kimmmmm

Hate to admit it, but I remember that. And gasoline for 33 cents a gallon.

Fuskie, it started when I got a craving for an egg cream--a real old-fashioned egg cream made with U-Bet's Chocolate Syrup at a real soda fountain.

Yum! This is the time of year for one. I wonder if they sell U-Bet's in Ohio ...

Nah,

Too bad. I was hoping we could go out for egg creams together when I next get up your way. Not that I have any plans at the moment, but if it happens, I'm sure we can find some other beverage.

~~ Alison
Me too. When I finally got around to tasting McDonalds, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I still don't eat much fast food or soda, for that matter.

Catleen
Happy Birthday Fred! 29 Again?

Thanks, Wendy. This will be my ninth 29th birthday.

Fred
{{Actually, I beleive the first time that the price of gas topped $1.00 a gallon was in 1978}}

I am sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant rose over $1 for good, not just the first time. That makes sense now.

c
Yum! This is the time of year for one. I wonder if they sell U-Bet's in Ohio ...

U-Bet they do!

;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Too bad. I was hoping we could go out for egg creams together when I next get up your way. Not that I have any plans at the moment, but if it happens, I'm sure we can find some other beverage.

Count on it, Alison! :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Yup. And I remember Mom handing me a dollar and sending me (on my bike) to the store for bread and milk. And I had to give her the change back.
No. of Recommendations: 7
I remember when TMF was completely free

ramseesforever
I remember when the mere thought of buying water in little bottles or paying to watch television would've been considered outrageous.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
There is (allegedly) a Real Soda fountain at Nau's Enfield Drug in Austin Texas. I have never actually eaten there; one time we tried & it was closed that late in the day (uh, 2 or 3 pm). But I believe it is still there and old UT grads come back for the memories...

jts
I remember a Hershey bar was an Ounce (for that nickle..) but the Nestle's was 15/16; or maybe 7/8, and so it cost more. But it had creamier chocolate.

What about milk at school for 2c but chocolate was 3c? (of course the school milk was probably govt.subsidized).

joycets--chocolate fan
Wages--I remember as a kid the standard "wage" (was it minimum wage?) was 1.00 an hour, but the carhops got .75 because they had tips.

I first worked for 1.60 an hour I believe at college cafeteria. And was pleased to get it!

joycets